Sacred Heart Shelter Internship Opportunity
Sacred Heart Shelter serves 6 families and 6 single women seeking emergency shelter. We strive to provide client-centered case management and a compassionate environment for our residents.
We have 2 spaces open for Winter/Spring Internships. This is a great way to gain experience working in a social service setting. Interns work 1 night a week from 6-9:30pm. If one person is interested in more than one evening we can probably accomodate that. The responsibilities of this position are below. We are happy to accomodate interested students by providing service learning credit or independent study credit. We can also modify the number of hours if a student needs more than 3.5 hours per week.
We require a 6 month commitment.
If interested, please submit a resume and cover letter to Elissa Knight at elissak. Feel free to call the number below with any questions.
1. Work to foster an attitude of support and safety for program participants.
2. Communicate and enforce program policies and procedures.
3. Screen and admit participants to the program.
4. Help to maintain cleanliness and order in all shelter areas.
5. Maintain detailed daily logs.
6. Work within the mission, goals and objectives of the Archdiocesan Housing Authority and Catholic Community Services and Sacred Heart Shelter.
7. Foster an environment which honors and supports diversity and commit to treating others with dignity and respect.
8. Specific responsibilities include:
· Perform room checks.
· Perform house responsibility checks.
· Greet volunteers and make them feel welcome; provide what is needed to do work assigned.
· Assist volunteer cooks by making sure the kitchen is orderly and they have everything they need. Ensure they know how to find the appropriate staff person if they have other needs.
· Answer any questions volunteers may have regarding homelessness, the shelter, and the mission of SHS.
· Assist with smooth running of evening meal.
· Assist in preparing rooms for new residents.
· Share equally all duties with other DSA, and be cognizant of location of each other at all times, in case of emergency.
· Other duties as delegated by Shelter Coordinator and monitored by the Program Director.
Sacred Heart Shelter